Thursday, February 28, 2013

Full Term Breastfeeding

Today I was referred to as a "hippy" and a "cunt" for my views on nursing. I don't believe there is such thing as "extended" breastfeeding, there's  nothing extended about it. It's natural, is that really so hard to accept?

Let me first start by saying I support babies being fed. Even if it's formula. I believe breast is best but SO many mothers are uneducated and do not have the support they need. I believe every child has the right to breast milk; donor, pumped or straight from the tap. I wish people didn't go with the flow, I wish people questioned things and society. It's your right, use it!

WHO recommends all babies are fed for at least two years. Yes, you read that correctly, TWO whole years. Yes, a walking, talking, running, self feeding child that will ask for it. The natural age of weaning is between 2 and 7 years (http://www.naturalchild.org/). Your nurslings brain will nearly triple in the first two years of life and needs those fatty DHAs. Full term breastfeeding lowers risks of many illness (extra awesome if you don't vax), it builds a better immune system and decreases rates of obesity. They generally have better vision, dental and intestinal health. Full term breastfeeding also provides healthier, glossier hair; it acts as a painkiller for all of those bumps and bruises we know all too well; stronger bones; your child will be a less fussier eater and it will provide them with a greater sense of independence (ahaparenting.com)

Not only is it beneficial health wise the bond alone is worth it. Gazing into your child eyes knowing the peaceful, calming, loving affect you have caused by nursing is all the reason you need. Well, all the reason I need.

1 comment:

  1. You go, lady. I'm happy to be a hippy with you any day! After I wrote my post on this same subject earlier in the week, I decided that I, too, dislike the term "extended breastfeeding." I think I am going to start using "natural term nursing" instead. What do you think??

    If any of your readers are inerested in another mamas take on breastfeeding older babies, check out my blog about Nursing in America. http://growingglobe.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/nursing-in-america/

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete